Roughly one out of every five people in La Verne has been diagnosed with hearing loss. The good news? 90 percent will benefit from use of a hearing aid. The not-so-good news? Choosing a hearing aid is hard! Not only is there a wide variety of styles available; the number of options and features is seemingly endless. Familiarizing yourself with different types of hearing aids before reaching for your wallet will help make the selection process easier.
Factors to Consider When Selecting Hearing Aids
When shopping for hearing aids in La Verne, there are several important factors to consider first:
- Determine your hearing needs. This one might seem like a no-brainer, but if you haven’t been examined by an audiologist yet, make an appointment! Not everybody who has trouble hearing the six o’ clock news is experiencing hearing loss – and while most cases are permanent, there are certain instances in which something innocuous, such as too much earwax, can be causing a temporary (and easily reversible) loss. A La Verne audiologist will provide you with a comprehensive hearing consultation in order to determine if you are suffering from hearing loss, and if so, how severe it is, and which frequencies are affected – important considerations in choosing a hearing aid.
- Decide which features will benefit you most. Chances are, you wouldn’t buy a car with all the bells and whistles available, unless you won the lottery and money was no issue. The same is true of hearing aids; there are lots of options and accessories available, but only certain ones will be beneficial – and the more you choose, the higher the price tag. The most popular accessories today include:
- Bluetooth® connectivity
- Rechargeable batteries
- Automatic programming
- Directional microphones
- Digital noise suppression
- Think about your lifestyle needs. How active you are is an important factor when choosing hearing aids. Some people prefer to stay home while enjoying occasional intimate gatherings with a few close friends, while others prefer a night out on the town in places that can be pretty noisy. You’ll want to select a hearing aid that can handle your favorite activities without being overkill.
- Looks are important, too! Hearing aids won’t do you any good unless you wear them, so it’s important to choose a pair that appeals to your cosmetic preferences and makes you feel confident enough to put them on every day. With a large variety of styles from which to choose, you’ll be able to find a pair that makes you feel comfortable, whether you’d prefer to keep them out of sight or don’t mind showing them off to others.
- Last but not least is cost. There’s no getting around the fact that hearing aids can be spendy. It’s important to determine a budget level you’re comfortable with, but you’ll need to ensure your aids are powerful enough to address your specific hearing needs. Saving a few dollars won’t do you much good if your hearing aids can’t meet your needs, so don’t let cost be too strong a limiting factor.
When in doubt, remember that your La Verne audiologist is more than happy to help guide you through the selection process.